Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Austrian oddities...or Vorarlbergian oddities, anyway

- When we were shopping for a new vehicle every car-dealer let us take out the car for a test-drive by ourselves. New Yorkers that we are…or should I say…Ghettoites that we are, we considered not coming back…but only for a moment… ;)

- People look at you funny when you blast your car-stereo (especially, when it’s Reggaeton)…the Ghetto is deep within us. ;)

- the y is where the z is on the kezboard….aaaargh….keyboard.

- speaking of the computer, you have to press CTRL+ALT+Q to get an @ sign.

- Kindergarten is not like Kindergarden…i.e. not first grade but like pre-school..and not even that is correct…since they really just go there to play at first. No alphabet training until they’re maybe 5 or 6.
(I am wondering if I am holding Maia back now… did I mess up any options?… how important are these early years really?…aaah…paranoia subtly surfaces).

- kids walk to and from kindergarden (hmm…daycare, pre-school) by themselves ! (nowadays they wait until the kids are around five before they let them walk alone, though.)

- post office clerks are the probably nicest people in public service you will meet. Or maybe I just met a few freaks. I was just standing there thinking…this can’t be true….nobody can be this happy and friendly all the time…to every costumer….but after a few visits I lost my doubts.
But seriously, there are some incredibly friendly sales-people here…performing jobs, you would think they should hate and thus would justify any and all attitude. I am still trying to understand this phenomenon. If I solve the mystery, I’ll let you know.

- a hero with turkey, cheese, pickles, eggs, ….the works, so to say...doesn’t cost 7.50.- but about 1.99.-. This I really don’t get, for you only get sandwiches in the supermarket where you order from the bread-counter girl, who then takes your bread of choice to the meat-counter to cut and weigh your meat of choice, then moves on to the cheese-counter to do the same and last but not least cuts the condiments of your choice. Needless to say, I am wasting her time ordering this kind of sandwich and still get only charged a buck and a half.

- it takes a minimum of a month to get internet (huff & puff)…at least in Vorarlberg.

- people can wear the same clothes two times in a row to work and won’t get stared at (except by me, maybe)

- some people still refer to black people as negroes here and think this is perfectly acceptable. :O They don’t mean it in any racist way, either…it’s just…really weird and …of course, ignorant…to me, anyway. (Vern is gonna have a blast when he comes visit. Especially if he brings his favorite T-shirt that says No, white lady I don't want your damn purse.) ;)

- at the gas-station, you pay after you put gas in.

- when you get a speeding-ticket you pay the cop in cash (yes, I got a ticket already, …test-driving one of them damn cars…and no, I wasn’t fooled…you really do pay them cash…you get a receipt.)

- there is no take-out coffee! ... the whole fast-food and take-out/delivery thing is generally not really present

- all shops close at 5 or 6pm..a lot of them are closed on Saturdays...and ALL businesses are closed on Sundays and state-holidays. Coming from NYC, the city that proverbially and literally never sleeps, this is quite an adjustment.

To be continued

No comments: