Friday, March 10, 2006

all things come to an end

To save some time, here today`s e-mail exchange with one of my closest friends.
_
He writes:
---------------------
Hey Sisi,

I don't have a lot of time to write right now. I've been in a little bit of a funk-- no doubt you've heard that work is a little crazy with people jumping ship and one of my best friends in the world will be leaving soon.

But I wanted to say, yeah. Last minute panicking is natural, but all things considered I'm confident you're making the right decision. One, the girls need to learn German and English (and probably some Spanish and a forth Asian language) if they're going to thrive in the emerging market, plus no doubt getting them into a quality school won't be such a crap shoot, especially once they get a handle on German.

Two, I think you've been loosing important pieces of yourself over the past few years-- no doubt you discovered as much about yourself as you lost, but I think it's a good time for you to reclaim a lot of who you used to be.

Third, Dario needs a change, I think there were too many things around him reinforcing his juvenial inclinations. Working in a completely new environment will be really challenging and one thing about D he welcomes a good challenge, so I think this will go a long way to growing him up. If I were, I wouldn't expect him to stop playing games though, that's an inescapable global phenomena.

As far as graduate school goes. I've always been one of those folks in the camp that if you really want to be a photographer, that's what you'll be. If you're doing it for the right reasons (driving by the passion the challenge the desire the love to capture and make precious some of life's fleeting moments) then it doesn't matter whether you do so as a professional or an amateur (who, I remind you, is someone who engages a habitual activity out of love). But if you're not convinced, well, graduate programs have been around for at least 50 years, I'm sure they'll still be around when you're ready.Anyway, I need to get back to work, no doubt, more later.

Vern
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey vern,

thanks for your wonderful and very insightful e-mail.
This is the kind of emotional support I need at this great crossroads of my life (although, ....technically I feel like I`ve already passed the crossing...;)

Anyway, it was good to hear your feedback and, believe me, it isn`t easy for me to let go of my friendships either. I`ve been in a funk myself for the past few days. Good thing we are living in the 21st century and keeping in touch and up-to-date won`t be such an undertaking. Plus, I did always prefer your writing....although, I must say, your wife has done a good job polishing those rough (sometimes very annoying) edges of yours. - sh*t...somehow that sentence didn`t work....already I am losing my English....BUT hey! you know what a friend of the family told me today?! ...a few weeks ago she had run into my old German teacher (in the States, comparable to one`s Englisch teacher, I suppose)....and he had told her that I was his best student in his 35 years of duty as a professor.
How come they don`t tell you this when you go to school? I don`t recall EVER getting a compliment at school. .... of course, there must have been some...but apparently they were so rare that I don`t remember. What I do remember are the beatings and never-ending scoldings I got at school.
Although, I think, my English teacher once complimented me on my continous excellence on our English vocabulary tests. Of course, the last paragraph is anything but a good example of those apparent "excellent" English skills. ;)
My mom reminded me that I used to be very athletic...always bringing home medals. I don`t remember any medals. That must have been wishful motherly thinking. ;) ....Actually, wait!....I do remember a medal...once...I got in 3rd or 4th place in a bobsledding race, in which I almost died btw. (aah, the beauty of small-town athletic events. safety: a non-issue.)

Anyway, ....it`s getting late. Only a few days until I finally fly back to my beloved family.
Nini has been potty-trained in my absence. I am upset. ....... and she isn`t even two, yet.

Oh,... one more story before I go:
Yesterday, I got a skype call at work. I saw it was Dario calling, so I hung up...thinking what is he doing calling me at work? I can`t be skyping here. Then it rings again, so I picked up....not saying anything...waiting for him to tell me what he needs to tell me.
Then I hear Maia: MOOOM, I know you`re there. ...Say something. It was too cute. ;)Then she started going on about her day, and what she had been doing, and how her dad is annoying her but that she loves him anyway....
Finally Dario came into the room...quite surprised. Apparently, she must have picked my name out of the contact list and then just pressed the button to call me. May I mention that the other day I spent about 45 min. trying to explain to my father, who is about 60 years older than my daughter, how to make a phone-call with skype. ;)

ok. now I really am going to go.
Today is my 8th wedding anniversary....and this summer D and I will have been together for 11 years.
I`m slightly amazed.
;)
anyway, I gotta go.
say hi to your lady,
c-u soon,
s.

No comments: