Thursday, April 20, 2006

checking in

It’s weird to log into my American laptop after such a long time. Outlook reminds me of forgotten birthdays, classes I was signed up for, and that play I didn’t want to miss.

It looks like I won’t have any internet access for another 4-6 weeks (if I am lucky….a colleague of mine tells me she waited 3 months for her connection). At work I hardly have time for anything private. I barely can get in important administrative errands, forget about anything leisurely private such as writing blogs (this one I am writing, saving on a stick and posting later), preparing images for my online albums, or answering e-mails of friends. In combination with not having a land-line (only a cell-phone that charges me 20 cents/ minute) and the fact that we still are without car I would say the circumstances are rather simple, maybe even difficult here. But for some reason I really enjoy this “back to basics” first phase. I am walking to the bus in the morning, Dario walks into the village to buy groceries with the kids, and at night we heat the place with our fire-place.
It took me a few days to learn how to make fire. The first day I smoked up the whole apartment and we had to open all the windows as not to suffocate or die of gas-poisoning, which in consequence made the place even colder than it was before.

The kids are outside a lot (probably because we don’t have any toys, yet….they are still sitting in NY, being held by the moving company I’ve been bitterly fighting with over the past two weeks.) Oh, and here my first step in my mission to make sure they don’t get other business (ha, ha…well, within the group of 20 people who read my blog…or however many there are): If you’re looking to move, don’t go with INFINITY Moving and Storage Co. ….they're nice and cute until you have a problem, which, let’s face it, moving always brings some sort of problems and you have to start talking to their ghetto-fabulous costumer service rep.
I will post my e-mail correspondence with the girl later, if you care to read it. It’s long and you might not care….but …oh well, this blog entry is rather long….and really, I find it kinda lame today. It all sounded much better in my head…but that was days ago….this always happens…the perfect entry comes to me when I am in no way able to sit down and write.

Dario is calling. He made left-over lunch. He’s been great so far. Building, fixing, assembling, cooking, you name it. ...but I think, it is finally sinking in that he is pretty much alone here. No social circle, no language, and last but not least, the only stay-at-home dad in the neighborhood.

Other that that it's been good..specially now that spring is coming …but I really…really miss my friends in NY.

No comments: