Wednesday, May 03, 2006

the corporate world and me

wrote this Monday (1st of May) night but had no internet to post ...so I am adding it today.

I am beginning to wonder, whether I am made for the corporate world. Or maybe I am just too old for the corporate world, …in other words…I just don’t have that youthful, exploit-me-I-will-work-for-18hours-for-practically nothing drive anymore. I don’t care to kiss ass…well, really I never did, so thanks to my dad for the laissez-faire up-bringing….no respect for authorities.

Anyway, …today I spent from 9 am until 10 pm in my chair at the office trying to tame the news. I was signed up for holiday duty, which means you do the job of 6 people by your damn self. Others seem to manage this between the normal weekend shift-hours of 9am to 6.30pm. They even have time for lunch and coffee breaks. I on the other hand, did not budge and still managed to fuck up. I later on watched the late-night news on CNN with great despair – realizing how many stories I had missed during my shift – and a bit in awe about the fact that I had managed to single-handedly make hundreds of thousands of people (I forget the exact number of daily vol.at visitors) a tiny bit more ignorant (...at least about the day's news, that is).
Really, I do like the projects but the editorial duty is killing me. There is so much routine needed to complete the job in time and I seem to be unable to get into this routine, since I only have 2 days of editorial duty a week.

Anyway,…today when I finally arrived at home longing for some rest, I found myself faced with a mess, which was just impossible to ignore. Poor D, who had anticipated my home-coming since the clock struck 6.30 was laid out on the carpet – next to the electric heater - with a fever. The baby was sleeping happily next to him, missing a diaper.
Since I hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast, I welcomed the dirty plates from the kids’ dinner left on the kitchen table. I hungrily scraped off the cold fish-stick leftovers -something I would usually discard with a disgusted grunt – and washed it down with some flat soda.

Now it is almost midnight, and I have to be back at work at 9am. So, I better go. I hope Dario will feel better tomorrow. It sucks to be sick and have two kids to take care of.

Oh…a cute-zie report from the Maia front:

Maia to Dario:
You know, my favorite thing in the whole world are horsies. And then unicorns, and then Mami, ...........and then baby.... and then Daddy.

Maia sings a Good-night song to me and baby (baby being Nayla, who just turned two the other day) ;)
There was Mami and Maia and Baby and Daddyyyy…and they rode on a flyiiing horsiiiee…over the seaaa to Ameeeerica….and then a crocodile ate them…..and theeen a whale ate the crocodile….and sooo the crocodile got a belly-ache and spit them all out again….and soo they were in the whale….

I lost her there…since I was almost falling asleep but I told myself that I had to write this down. Of course, it would have been nice if I had actually stayed awake to hear the end of her song. Sorry…. I’m sure there are more crazy storylines where that came from. Will report again.

1 comment:

Evil said...

"The Man" sucks.