Saturday, May 13, 2006

what is the freaking point of love??

What is the point of love? I am just wondering.
...What is the genetic purpose for love?
I am just wondering because I have noticed how often love is so misplaced that it really messes with a whole array of otherwise well functioning parts of our lives.
Why is love so out of our control? Why can we not choose who to love and who not to love?
We should at least be able NOT to love the people we also hate, for whatever reason. Or NOT love the people who really would just destroy our lives and order as we know it.

So, what is the freaking point of love?
Why does it make us blind to the complete disaster it could cause?

People have killed because of love. People have lost their minds because of love. People have done a whole shitload of quite radical things because of fucking love.
Why can it not be controlled? The pragmatist that I am I would like an explanation or at least a freaking theory that makes sense in the genetic make-up of humans.
What is the biological purpose for love?

This is almost as unanswerable (is that a word??) as the question about why God seems to distribute good luck and horrible fates quite strangely sometimes....but at least there I am already in a completely different realm. The latter is more a philosophical question, whereas my first question is rather a scientific question.
Any theories? Anyone?

2 comments:

sisi said...

This I won't blog.

sisi said...

Somebody commented "Boo!" to this entry and I deleted it. Then I thought, this is stupid censorship and I should be able to take constructive critique. ..not that "Boo!" is in any way constructive...but anyway...I just wanted to say...can't I rant about love sometimes? A person who reacts with a comment like the above must never have had a true love-dilemma. I used to be such a person. Shaking my head at the love-wrecked weakness of some girls I knew, sighing about any sappy romance-flick (drag me into a chick flick and I'll beat you for it afterwards). Now, however, I understand...that's all I am trying to say. Love is a bitch.
AND HEY...how come it's cool when Sophocles comments on love and I get ridiculed for it?! Heh?

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life; That word is love. - Sophocles