Wednesday, May 03, 2006

how Maia fell out the window

Maia fell out the window today.
First of all, a note to all fathers if left alone with your kids: Do not call your wife while the kid is still screaming in the background and then have the first words out of your mouth be "our child fell out the window!" You already know she is o.k., just still upset, why are you going with the shock- opening-line? This can have devastating consequences. I almost had a heart-attack. I was shaking, I couldn't even form a sentence.

In the end I didn't care about any of his reassurances that Maia was o.k. She fell about 7 or 8 feet and she was still crying, so I just left the office to go check on her.

Apparently, D had tried to plug in our X-box (the one we brought with us from NY ..i.e. 120V vs. 240V here). The thing burned out immediately (just as our DVD-player had the week before), producing big smoke clouds. Naturally he ran to the window to air out the room. He then turned back to the game console and next thing you know he heard Maia crying outside. Baby joined right in. A kind of solidarity cry, so to say. Maia had fallen out the living room window and landed on the path below it - a grid of concrete plates and gravel. Thankfully, Maia must have mostly landed on her arms and legs and mostly on the gravel. I told her to thank God for that...and she wondered if he was there right next to her, protecting her. He/She must have been, cause this could have gone awfully bad.
Thank you God!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I think if I have kids I'm going to keep them locked up like Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs..so they can't really move at all. I know I'm going to be so nervous they they will poke their eye on soemthing or fall out of a window like what happened here.

nice to hear nothing bad happened!

Evil said...

when i was two and a half, my mom tried to throw me out a window, but i wouldn't go. happy mother's day, mom!