Tuesday, July 18, 2006

and so we went to see a Verdi opera...


the whole week I was wondering why I had volunteeringly bought tickets to the opening of Verdi's Troubadour and was secretly hoping our babysitter wouldn't show up, just so we don't have to sit through a two-and-a-half hour long opera. It was your typical "on-sale-panic" ... something goes on sale and you suddenly feel overcome by the urge to buy, even though you have absolutely no use for said item....you just apply the general and all-covering principle of the motto "one never knows" and you're good to go. Little did I know that my neighbor got tickets to the same opera for almost half of the bargain I paid.

anyway, so I dragged Dario with me and was despised for it for most of the evening. not only did I keep him with my "culture" from his all-day-anticipated game at home but I also exposed him to millions of bugbites and a dozen arias, which nobody understood a word of.
once in a while he threw me a quick mercy-translation of what he picked up (since it was sung in Italian), although, I think, I always got the ghetto version of what was said. (eg. D: that lady, who is stumbling around like a drunk by the way, sure has a lot to say. me: she isn't stumbling around like a drunk she is being dramatic....what'd she say? D: basically...that payback is a bitch.
;) I think he kinda brought the piece to the point with that statement, for I finally couldn't take it anymore and against all opera-proper behavior pulled out a newspaper, where I had seen a short description of the plot earlier. the story is so complicated I had to read the plot three times. when my seat neighbor asked me for the paper I knew, I wasn't the only one who had no clue what the hell was going on on stage. I still don't know what a Troubadour really is, though.

Must remember for next opera trip:

a) leave work early so there is still time to eat dinner, change work-clothes, brush crazy hair from drive home, and to put on make-up.

b) leave on time (as to not be stared at while making an entire row of people rise during the first act so you can get your fat, underdressed, and particularly late ass to your seat).

c) also, to be on time: try not to invite people over at the same time you are supposed to leave the house (an old friend of mine had spontaneously called and I had invited him over for a quick update and a house-tour. in my defense, I thought it was an hour earlier than it really was.)

d) tickets (forgot them at first)

e) there is an embarrassing difference in size between regular binoculars and opera binoculars.

f) PREPARE. know what your going to see. preferably in detail, for those arias are looong and if you don't know what the heck they're saying you will get bored pretty quickly. An opera isn't a blockbuster. The story usually is strong and dramatic but the performance is no action-crazy on-the-edge-of-your-seat kinda series of events.

but seriously, now. it wasn't bad at all. the arias were a bit long sometimes but the sun-set atmosphere was great (it's a set built on the lake of Constance), the music was really not what I expected (beautifully played by the Vienna Philharmonics), and Dario agreed that he did actually like it, after all.
I feel a little bit smarter now. ;) ... just kidding. of course, this wasn't the first opera I've seen (I have actually been in an opera once...with a small supporting non-singing (!) role)... but I really do think it's good to feed your brain something else once in while. something that isn't so easy to digest, as everything else in nowadays' short attention-span driven society.

No comments: